Write Like a Boss: Master Your Business Writing Skills Download
How to write better emails and proposals, save valuable time, and develop powerful written communication skills.
What you’ll learn
Save time and reduce uncertainty by using a 3-step writing process.
Analyze what your audience wants, needs, and expects from emails, reports, and proposals.
Write emails that demonstrate your emotional intelligence and cultural awareness.
Persuade audiences with different types of evidence and well-organized reports and proposals.
Write emails, reports, and proposals that are clear, concise, and easy to read.
Reflect on your business writing skills, set goals, and plan for continuous improvement.
A pen/pencil and notepad
A basic understanding of English grammar
Are you ready to take your business writing to the next level…the boss level? Writing like a boss means writing like a leader. Companies want leaders with power skills like written communication, emotional intelligence, and persuasion — and these are the skills you’ll learn about in this course!
If you want to…
- Craft emails that get responses
- Persuade different audiences with research-proven strategies
- Improve the clarity and conciseness of your writing
- Evaluate your writing habits, strengths, and weaknesses
- Make your writing shine and your readers smile
…then this course is for you!
I’m your instructor, Dr. Elizabeth Goins. I have a PhD in communication, years of professional editing experience, and a genuine love for writing since childhood. Communication has truly transformed my life, and that’s why I’m so passionate about helping students like you.
I’ve been teaching business writing at the university-level for 10 years, and have helped thousands of students become more confident writers. I also run a successful coaching and consulting business where I help companies and executives from all over the world.
My strategies are based on the latest communication research and practical business experience, and I love making writing fun for my students.
WHAT YOU’LL GAIN FROM TAKING THIS COURSE
Write Like a Boss: Master Your Business Writing Skills is full of valuable tips, tools, and strategies for writing effective emails, reports, and proposals at work.
I’ll walk you through the fundamentals of written business communication using research-proven strategies, interesting examples, and useful exercises to test your knowledge and improve your skills.
By the end of this course, you’ll know how to:
- Analyze and persuade different audiences successfully
- Write with more confidence, clarity, and impact at work (and in life)
- Apply valuable tips for taking your writing to the next level.
“Amazing course, clear and precise – thank you Elizabeth.”
“A really great course for such a short time. Compact, to the point and I really feel it has helped me improve in this area. Thank you!”
“This is a good course, more than I expected. Taught me a lot about my writing. I realized I have to think about everything I write in order to engage the reader.”
“This course provided me with a lot of great tips to incorporate into my writing. I tend to be overly wordy in emails so the ‘turn phrases into words’ game is super helpful for me! Elizabeth also made the course fun and enjoyable to watch.”
“Overall, I found this course very helpful. Now onto setting goals and practicing! #timetowritelikeaboss”
HOW THIS COURSE IS STRUCTURED
Section One: Introduction
- Embrace writing as a power skill
- Learn about the 4 different writing personalities
- Discover your own writing personality, and how it’s helping or holding you back
- Tap into different personalities to write successfully
Section Two: The 3Ps Writing Process
- Save time and reduce uncertainty around writing
- Analyze your context, purpose, and audience before writing
- Get over writer’s block and start writing
- Organize your messages strategically
- Polish your writing to make it shine
Section Three: Writing Emails That Get Responses
- Learn when you should (and shouldn’t) use email to communicate
- Show emotional intelligence in your writing like a leader
- Adapt to your audience’s communication preferences
- Help your reader respond and gain credibility
Section Four: Writing Reports & Proposals That Persuade
- Use different types of evidence to persuade readers
- Earn buy-in and promote action from your audience
- Show and tell your audience why they should care about your ideas
- Apply a research-proven framework for organizing your persuasive messages
Section Five: Tactical Strategies for Next-Level Writing
- Write clearer and more concise sentences and paragraphs
- Save your audience time and energy
- Make your audience want to read your messages
- Write professional-looking, visually appealing emails, reports, and proposals
- Diagnose your writing strengths and opportunities for growth
Section Six: Now What? 3 Keys to Progress
- Turn the knowledge you’ve gained from this course into action
- Use practice, feedback, and goals to continue growing as a boss writer
- Create a specific plan for keeping the momentum going
ARE YOU READY TO WRITE LIKE A BOSS? Join me and I’ll show you how!
CPE (Continued Professional Education)
- Describe a simple 3-step writing process to save time and reduce anxiety.
- Identify ways to analyze what your audience wants, needs, and expects from emails.
- Name the techniques to persuade different audiences with written reports and proposals.
- Explain how to write emails that demonstrate your emotional intelligence and cultural awareness.
- Name the techniques to persuade audiences with different types of evidence and well-organized reports and proposals.
- Explain how to write emails, reports, and proposals that are clear, concise, and easy to read.
- Describe how to reflect on your business writing skills, set goals, and plan for continuous improvement.
For more information regarding administrative policies, please contact our support using the Help and Support link at the bottom of this page.
Who this course is for:
- Business leaders who want to write with confidence, clarity, and impact at work (and in life)
- Managers who want to improve their communications with coworkers, customers, and clients
- Individual contributors and creatives who want to help their teams and organizations by writing effective messages
- This course is *not* targeted for students who wants to take a deep-dive into strategies for writing marketing copy, PR, grants, technical writing, or other *specific* genres of business writing